Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Great Story to be Continued...

Developing Chris's voice has been an informative experience.  I empathize with his struggles and I have hope for his future.  I believe that Chris will face some pretty hard times that cause him to seriously consider leaving college, but I believe he will finish and go on to help strengthen the Latino community.  That is one thing that the Latino community has in their favor, family and community. Coming into this project I had worked with Latino students before, but didn't comprehend the challenges that they face or the reasons why they faced them.  This project has given me the opportunity to connect the dots between past and present experiences, Chris's voice, and content covered in both Theory and Foundations.  I can't wait to look back on my entries in the future and see how I have grown since completing this project.  I believe that this project is a starting point and helps build understanding and awareness.  After completing this project I believe that I have a responsibility to continue to inform myself of other voices and make connections between theory and practice.  I am excited to apply what I have learned in this project.  The door is open for me to return to Adams State this summer and assist with Summer Latino Leadership Summit.  I have not decided if that is the best option for the summer based on time constraints and other obligations, but as I worked on this project my head was spinning with ideas that could help elevate the program. If I returned I know that I would approach the program differently including the conversations that I have with students, student leader retreat facilitation practices, correspondence with potential students and parents, and organizing student presentation workshops.  As I see it no story ended today, it just began.

No comments:

Post a Comment